TheBanyanTree: Looking Out My Back Door

Theta Brentnall theta at garlic.com
Thu Apr 3 21:54:34 PST 2003

It's emphatically Spring here.  Hot days followed by cold, rainy ones and
the iris in bloom all over the place.  Ethel has made her nest in the iris
again, and she lays her egg-a-day there for me to steal (if Bear doesn't
get there first.)  This make Fred grouchy, and he pecks my ankles.  When I
feed them, I have to grab him by the beak with one hand while I wash out
their bowl and refill it, or he nips my arms with just the tip of his beak
and raises welts.  The brat.  Gerry says it is one of the best shows in
town, watching me holding that silly duck by the beak and him desperately
trying to free himself.  It's almost as funny as watching Fred herd the
dogs around the yard by pecking them on their tails.

We have had strange water birds on the lake these past couple of
weeks.  There were a dozen or so surf scoters a few days ago.  They
normally stay in the brackish waters of the Delta, so they got blown a
hundred miles off course.  Or maybe they came for the frog buffet we are
offering down at the pond.  I've never seen so many frogs.  They make so
much noise at night that we can't sit outside and hold a quiet conversation.

"What did you say?  The frogs are too loud and I can't hear you."  Then
when something flies overhead or a motorcycle roars along the road down the
hill, the frogs go silent and there is blessed quiet for a few
minutes.  Then one intrepid soul gives a tentative croak, a few others
answer him and then they all start talking at "caps lock" volume
again.  The old dog, Sam, loves to go down to the pond and chase all the
frogs into the water.  It's just about the only thing that gets him moving
at speed.  It is fun to see him prancing back, proud of doing his job of
frog herding so well.  But his excursions are shorter than they used to be
and he is ready to come back up to the house and collapse on his bed again
for a well-earned rest.

We are none of us getting any younger.

But Spring makes us feel younger than we are.

Theta