TheBanyanTree: Two Days; Two Funerals

tobie at shpilchas.net tobie at shpilchas.net
Sun Sep 5 10:48:28 PDT 2021

Thank you Dale. Oh so good to hear from you and to read the responses.

	This last year has had far too many funerals. My mother passed away in October of 2020 and my sister passed away in the beginning of August, missed her 76th birthday by 11 days. She was born on VJ day. There was rioting in the streets while my mother watched from the window at Mount Zion Hospital in San Francisco. Those rioters knew something about my sister.

	There was no funeral, no memorial. Cremation can create an anonymity that adds to the grieving. When I go, put me in a plain box and return me to the earth. I want to contribute to growing plants and flowers. Then nobody need come visit me to slap a swatch of plastic posies on the site.  My mother’s one year yahrzeit will come up on October 24th, but I’ve not even heard any plans about the words to be put on the gravestone. No one is speaking to anyone. The family got greedy after her death. I’ve heard that happens a lot. Made me want to collect stories about the way families explode after the matriarch and patriarch pass and there is an inheritance to fight over. I even have a title for the book:  Where There’s a Will.

	Dale, your stories were captivating, sad and funny both. Write on.

Tobie