TheBanyanTree: Last Weekend

Russ Doden russ.doden at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 07:47:58 PDT 2020

I've been wanting to post something, but ... shy away from politics like
the plague (modern or ancient).  Here's the thing though.  As you all know,
there was a big rally here in Tulsa last weekend.  It was also Juneteenth.
For Tulsa that is something very much in our minds.  Back in 1921 was one
of, if not the worst race riot in the country.  The official fatality count
was about 30, but with changing times, and cover up's being uncovered, it
now looks to have been over 300.  The section of Tulsa now known as
Greenwood was known as Black Wall Street back then.  It was a hugely
prosperous part of the fledgling city.  It was nearly all destroyed in one
massive act of violence.  So, here, Juneteenth isn't just a celebration, it
is also a time of remembrance, for the entire community.  Sometimes it is a
little "rowdy" but usually a time of coming together.

This weekend had the potential to be the "perfect storm" of Juneteenth and
the rally.  Many - most? - of us were on edge.  There is a history of
trouble with the rallies the POTUS holds, so all due precautions were
taken.  Friday, Juneteenth came and went with only a few minor problems.
Not much more than any other hot summer night.  Then came Saturday, rally
day.  You all saw the results of that.  Friends that were in the area (not
for the rally, but because they live or work nearby) said that it was even
more calm than was shown on the news!  That evening, there were groups of
protesters wandering around.  Not causing damage, just ... roaming. They
would join up with other groups, and everyone ended up in the Greenwood
district.  There are so many great restaurants and museums there, so a lot
of damage could have been done.  Instead it turned into a huge block
party.  Food trucks came in, music was playing, people were dancing and
just having fun.  People of all races, not just one.  People of all
spiritual paths.

Quick Trip, a convenience store chain based here in Tulsa had boarded up
some of their shops in areas that could have seen problems.  The 4' x 8'
panels became targets of taggers.  Not hate tags, but tags of hope, unity,
and support.  Some were amazing.  It was interesting that areas of the
stores that were not covered didn't have any tagging on them at all, just
the boards!  The management of Quick Trip is looking to save many of the
boards, not just from their stores, but other stores as well, to possibly
put them up on display in the Greenwood area as a reminder of how Tulsa
handled that combination of events.

Sometimes I bitch and moan about Tulsa.  OK, the heat and humidity are
oppressive in the summer.  In the winter people forget how to drive. The
streets are perpetually under repair.  And so the list goes.  I will say
this though.  I have never been so proud of this city as I was this past
weekend.  Granted, I often tell people how great Tulsa is, with two world
class museums, cultural events, and so much more.  This  past weekend
though, made those fade temporarily.  The city came together. Black, white,
red (remember this is Indian Country), asian, gay, straight, what ever,
Christian and Pagan.  It didn't make any difference, we all felt a "shift"
and just maybe gave people in other cities a glimpse of what can be done
when people are willing to come together for change!

Russ

--
Enjoy Life By Living In Joy

Well Being Consultant