TheBanyanTree: Love in the time of cholera

Monique Colver monique.colver at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 14:44:35 PDT 2020

I loved that book. It may not fit, but what does?

It is so quiet in my neighborhood, which is a big lie, because that's just this moment in time. Mostly there are kids racing around the streets, and on holiday weekends cars accumulate around several houses as everyone throws a party, or, as in one case last week, a wake for the dear departed. Life goes on, though right now it goes on like a car crash.

Almost hair the year gone, and I'm not sure where it went. My friends think I no longer exist, that I have succumbed to my Parkinson's/Covid/kidneys/whatever and I may have, it's hard to tell because most days the silence is deafening. Last year I helped someone deal with her husband's onset of Parkinson's and then she stopped talking to me. A couple of months ago she texted me in a dither because her husband, who was still working in construction, injured his leg and what should she DO? I told her to take him to the doctor. It sounded like a normal work injury. Never heard from her again.

I admit, I don't know how to relate to people very well. Usually I don't know what they expect from me, and I don't do small talk well. But now that it's June we can probably get together with L&L who are always happy to put up my reduced speed.

I know, I don't sound slow, but some days the aphasia is worse and sometimes it's better. Walking too. Depends on how tired I am.

My husband has been quite good with whatever arises, whether it's dragging me to the bathroom when my legs don't work, or telling me what to do when I gush blood, or even bringing me whatever it is I crave when stuck at home. This week he's been working on our front yard since a sibling is threatening to visit Friday, and he, husband, wants the yard to look good. And it does. We're going for a rainforest look out there, with lilacs bursting out everywhere and lots of shade.

I have a peaceful life, mostly, necessary to maintain my current state of well being. So many things I'd like to do, many of which I'll get around to, but no baseball this year. It will have to wait till next year, and I'm sure it's not the only thing, but that's okay. The world is a mess, but at this point there's nothing I can do except post outraged screeds and those don't help anyone, they just add to the noise.

Monique
Sent from my iPad