TheBanyanTree: Hobbies

Monique Colver monique.colver at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 21:22:34 PST 2020

People like me need hobbies.

By people like me, I mean those who are:
1. I don't know, there is no one like me. Let me try again.

1. People who want something to do.

I've never been good at hobbies. I'm clumsy. I've been knitting, but since I've learned nothing other than one stitch, and can barely cast on, and it takes a long time to make anything since I can only do rectangles, uneven odd rectangles, unless I use the short connected needles, and I don't even know what those do in the end or are called...and I have no patience to watch videos because my brain has trouble deciphering their movements into something my hands can do...

I'm good at numbers still, but that's not really a hobby, it was always a livelihood, but I can only do numbers a few hours at a time because after that my brain melts... Words are nice. I know a few words, but not the big ones, I lose at Words with Friends a lot, and unless the words can be put into sentences and then paragraphs...

Dishes. Sometimes I do the dishes but it's not really a hobby, and by ten minutes it's painful so it doesn't take up a lot of my time.

Podcasts are fun, but I use those to fall asleep to during the day, it's not really a hobby, more a sleep inducement.

Anyway. At Thanksgiving there were the "women" doing what women do, clustered in the living room talking yarn, and the lovely Louise-Marie pulled something about to show Ashley, and she, Louise-Marie I mean, was poking holes into a Styrofoam thing and suddenly there was a little ornament! I was entranced. But she quickly put it away and I didn't even know what it was, so I was left with the idea that there was something that looked both fun and like something I could complete, which would be a nice change from knitting rectangles and clipping my toenails.

But I didn't even know what it was.

Then recently I saw the same thing on Facebook! I was so excited, because now it had a name, and the person posting about it said I could do it, it wasn't hard. I liked the idea of something I could do, so I looked into it, and Amazon had a starter kit at a price I could, at the moment, afford, so I ordered it in my excitement.

Perhaps I should mention that many things catch my fancy these days. Drone photography. Dog rescue. Mountains. Historic houses. Painting. Fused glass, but I haven't made it to a class yet. So many things that I forget because I'm like that. Forgetful.

So my starter kit showed up today. I want to make little things that I can...well, give away, because what do I want them for? My starter kit for wool felting comes with 500 pieces and half as many little bags of wool. It's not so much a starter kit as it is a jigsaw puzzle. I like puzzles, I'm just not used to real life ones.

But it's been a rough day, and I got as far as opening the booklet, which started in Chinese before reverting to English, before I decided to take a stab at that word thing again.

So here I am.

Monique
Sent from my iPad