TheBanyanTree: Baking Blind

Jena Norton eudora45 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 7 06:04:40 PST 2019

I'm trying to do that, too, with some of my favorite recipes. Want to trade meat loaf recipes and compare?
It's good to have you back!
Jena Norton

    On Thursday, February 7, 2019, 7:12:06 AM CST, Woofie <woofess at iinet.net.au> wrote:

 There is a tasty smell wafting out from the kitchen. I suspect it is meatloaf, beecause I printed out the recipe for the Spouse.

OK, before you beat me up for forcing the poor spouse into domestic duties like cooking, I have an excuse! Or rather, I had one. Well bugger that.. maybe I will remember tomorrow .

What I do remember is that I am using the Spouse as a test bunny for all the recipes which I am going to include in my next book (OK, my first book - oh just shaddap, OK?)

Oh yeah, being blind for a significant part of the recent past, I had to dictate to the Spouse how to cook stuff.

Doing so was a challenge in itself, because previously the meals I cooked were not copied literally from some cook book or other, but inspired from same. This meant that I would add and delete from a written recipe.

Unfortunately the adding and deleting were not measurable - they were just a dash of this and a hunk of that - if I actually thought of measurements at all.

Becoming blind and thus not able to cook myself, I was reliant on the Spouse for the daily sustenance.

Now, don't get me wrong. The Spouse can cook up some really tasty meals, however it is not fair to shove a cookbook in front of his face and demand- "Cook that!!"

Unfortunately "that"  might turn out terrible.

Besides, there were mobs of meals I used to cook which we both liked. The problem was converting them to some literal form that the Spouse could follow.

Not easy.

So it became a trial and error experiment.

This meant that I typed (or verbally recounted when I was really blind) the ingredients and measurements.

What followed was a "taste test" and what followed that were adjustments to the original recipe until we got it right,

Tonight is my world famous meatloaf.

I hope I got it right…..

Woofie 😊

“I was so much older then…. I am younger than that now” Bob Dylan