TheBanyanTree: Visitation

tobie at shpilchas.net tobie at shpilchas.net
Sat Aug 24 11:52:30 PDT 2019

DAMN!!

	I want someone to supervise my visits with me.  Really.  Somebody ought to make sure I’m safe and no one tells me I’m worthless, that my future is bleak and no one loves me.  Yes, you remember the thing about the best of times, the worst of times.  I just never know when it’s going to be which.

	And I thought that when the hormones subsided, things would be easier.  It turns out that there is a whole new set of considerations when you get older than, "I’m still middle aged  — the cutoff is arbitrary. It’s how you feel.  ET CETERA."  (You must pronounce the et cetera or you have to go back and do it again).  And isn’t that the surprise that keeps on surprising.  No matter how diligent you are about taking your life and the lives of your closest in careful loving thought, it turns out that you didn’t know to anything about that next phase of your life. But now that you’re suddenly in that next phase, the horizon opens up (or narrows down at worst) and the landscape is entirely transformed.  New language of life.  Reality shifts.

	I remember ages ago when I was stepmother to my X’s two adolescent boys.  The divorce with his (crazed and jealous) (forgot: destructive) first wife had taken a heavy toll on the boys. The custody battles and back stabbing were still dark red and unclotted.  That’s when I did my astonishing flip and decided I did, after all, want to have children.  Well, a child, but it turned out that I let two eggs pop down the chute that month and the rest is 32 year old history.  I thought it best to wait until the pregnancy was confirmed and solid before telling Alex and Ben.  They were fragile enough.

	Family meeting.  (now define "family" for me).  We told them I was going to have a baby.  Alex, the elder, shrugged it off before going to his room to sulk.  But Ben stood there in a closeted state of shock, trying to figure out how he felt about life.  With bewilderment, he looked at no one in particular and said, "Wow. I thought everything was going to keep going on the way it is forever."

	So who wants to supervise?

Tobie