TheBanyanTree: NEVER turn your back!

peter macinnis petermacinnis at ozemail.com.au
Tue Aug 21 14:46:20 PDT 2018

This was just at the end of the Vietnam war, so we were able to carpet
bomb large areas at will, with a mix of napalm, Agent Orange and
testosterone.

No, sorry, that was just the fantasy we entertained most Fridays at
drinks in the club next door. Friday arvo drinks was an essential part
of our very effective kid management and maintenance as cases were
raised and actions planned to deal with behaviour and welfare. The
school should have been a Blackboard Jungle disaster zone, but we made a
lot of good kids.

Our programs all came down to sports: boys from Asia, Lebanon or Cyprus
had never encountered cricket, and needed to be unafraid of high hard
balls. (Only the wicket keeper, with a role like a baseball catcher,
uses gloves, and the ball is very similar to a baseball.)

We started them on softball, taught them the rudiments of throwing,
catching and running, and in the second year they were playing cricket
with the best of them, and tennis, and even Rugby football.

They were good years: we had their backs, and when the crunch came, they
had ours.

p1