TheBanyanTree: Veterans

Russ Doden russ.doden at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 19:07:49 PDT 2018

It has been a long time since I posted anything here in the Tree.  I don’t
know if this should be classified as a “PSA”, just an opinion or what.  Be
that as it may, here goes.  It’s long so feel free to just delete and go
about your life.

If you are a Veteran, are involved with a Veteran, have a Veteran in your
family, or are just friends with a Veteran, regardless of the era, branch
or any of that, cutting them a little slack now and then can go a long
way.  It doesn’t matter if they were overseas or never left CONUS
(Continental United States). It doesn’t make any difference how far behind
the lines, offshore, or if they were on the front.  They (we) were all were
exposed to things that we may have brushed off at the time.  Many of these
events were laughed about at the time, or were just considered “normal
everyday life”.  This can range from dealing with high explosives, napalm,
Agent Orange, spilled and ignited jet fuel, “loose” ordnance that can go
off at any time, and the list goes on.

Many times, regardless of how well “adjusted” they may be 99.9% of the time
now, there may be times when something triggers a response that seems  . .
.  unusual, or out of character.  The trigger can be something as simple as
seeing a picture, or reading an article.  The trigger and reaction can be
something that anyone who has never served may never get.

There are many well documented cases of PTSD, but I’m willing to bet that
there are many many more cases where something hits the Veteran out of the
blue and catches them totally unprepared.  It can trigger many different
have thought were gone; feelings of “Survivors Guilt”; anger; resentment
toward those who seem irresponsible or seemingly slovenly; and many more.
Some Veterans were drafted, some enlisted because of the draft and some
enlisted because they felt it was a duty.  We all had our reasons.  We all
had our lives changed, and not always for the better.  Some were 2 years
active duty and others made a career of the military and everything in
between.  We were and are all Brothers and Sisters in arms though.

Many of us know friends that never came back; or that came back physically
but not fully back mentally; or that came back physically “altered”; or
that we thought were just fine, then they suddenly “for no reason” turned
to drugs, alcohol, or just decided to end it all.  There is no logic or
rhyme or reason why they take the option they do.  The Veteran who hears
about it, often understands but can’t put it in words.  Sometimes it just
triggers emotions long buried, or even emotions that they may have thought
were long since left behind.

So, to my Brothers and Sisters who are fellow Veterans, there are many
around you, often ones you don’t even know are there, that have your back,
that will help get you back to safety, or simply sit with you if that is
all that is needed.  You are never alone.

--
Enjoy Life By Living In Joy

Well Being Consultant
www.rldwbc.com