TheBanyanTree: The first thing I do

Monique Colver monique.colver at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 16:16:20 PDT 2016

when I get home is take off my hair. Especially when the day has been humid
and it feels like something is happening somewhere and I don't know what.
None of that has anything to do with my hair though -- I take if off
whether anything is happening and no matter the weather. Also, it needs to
be washed now and then, and it can't do that while it's on my head.

I had an x-ray today, and when checking me in they asked, "Could you be
pregnant?" Seriously people? There's a reason childbearing lasts for only
so long.

I called for a doctor's appointment on Tuesday, and was told the first
opening was in August. Then I told them who I was and they found me a spot
for the next day.

Though it had nothing to do with who I am. It only had to do with someone
else cancelling.

My doctor is always overscheduled, and when making appointments I have to
decide on just one issue to talk to him about, because that's all we have
time for. One problem only, because then he's scheduled for the next
appointment. This makes it difficult to decide which particular problem to
bring up, because they're all small and inconsequential. But this time I
had something to show him. "Look!" I exclaimed (which people really do,
it's not just a figure of speech), "my knees are different sizes!" They've
been different sizes for quite awhile now, and since there wasn't any pain
I was ignoring them, other than to note how small one was in relation to
the other. Until the other started to hurt and I realized that's a
different size because it's swollen something fierce.

It feels like something is happening because I did two things this week: I
went to the doctor and I got an x-ray. This is more activity than I've
engaged in for quite awhile. Other than seeing the occasional client. I'm
enjoying the summer, because summer is when my clients stop freaking out
about taxes and start going on vacation, and the usual screaming in my head
is replaced by a soft little hum while I regroup and catch up. Of course,
people still expect to be paid every week, and people still expect all the
normal stuff to happen, which some of them think happens by magic.

We're rewatching Game of Thrones, because sometime after the first season I
stopped paying attention. And then we watched the last season which
recently ended and I kept asking questions because I didn't know what was
going on. So then I told Mr C we were going to have to start at the
beginning and this time I would pay attention. I'm really good at not
paying attention. But I bet I can pay attention too, if I want to. I just
haven't been in the mood.

I wrote a fascinating article about a payroll company a few weeks ago, and
it was scheduled to run last week, but there's been no sign of it. Perhaps
I was displaced to make space for more timely articles. Whatever. I trudged
through it anyway, because they asked for it and because writing about
payroll is not nearly as exciting as one might think.

Now I have to do some payroll, because no matter what's going on in the
world, people want their paychecks. It's one thing I can count on.

(There was really no point to any of this.)