TheBanyanTree: The years go by ...

paul paul at remsset.com
Tue Aug 16 13:21:34 PDT 2016

Way back in the Stone Age, almost, the electric pencil sharpener in
the copier room at the Texas Dept. of Banking broke. I told Gary
because that sort of stuff was his department. The motor ran but not
the sharpening guts.

Gary bought a new machine and tossed the old one in Margie's trash
can. This was after Gary's space had moved down to the Print Shop
area. I asked Margie if I could have it. Uh, "ask Preston". So I did.
I had to show the poopie one it was not working.

The official story is that I took it home and fixed it. In reality I
fixed it during my lunch hour. Gave the motor a couple of drops of oil
on each bearing and put the big plastic/nylon gear back onto the motor
shaft. Added a smear of fingernail polish on the shaft because I
didn't have super glue. Walla, fifteen minutes and fixed! Hmm, I
forget why I had fingernail polish in my desk.

This was about 1990. What? 26 years?

Tried to sharpen a pencil the other day. The machine made a bad noise.
Opened it and somehow it had striped teeth off of the big gear.

Not much there I can fix.

Junk, that's all you can buy anymore. Oh, and get off of my lawn. Damn
whippersnappers.

paul

--
    http://remsset.com