TheBanyanTree: Weight Loss Schemes

Theta Brentnall tybrent at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 19:50:52 PST 2014

Our church sponsors a school in Kenya called Children First. We provide tuition, uniforms, food and supplies for the children who go there. Usually the meal they get in the middle of the day is the only food they have. The son of the amazing woman who founded Children First so her children could go to school came to thank us for our support and tell us about the success stories of the children who have benefited by the school. He told us when he was a little boy his mother scraped together enough money to send him to school but there was no money for anything else. He and his older brothers would try to find work, but it was scarce. He would come home from school and his mother would have a big pot of water boiling on the fire and he'd be happy because maybe that meant there would be something to put in the pot. She would tell him to do his homework and later maybe his brothers would bring something. And when it was dark and there was still nothing in the pot but water, she would tell them to close their eyes and sleep a little and she'd wake them up for dinner later.  Often they would wake up in the morning and there was still nothing but water in the pot. So they would drink the water and go to school, with the hope that today there would be something in the pot besides water when they got home.

The young man has a college degrees in finance and education and works in the Kenyan equivalent of the Dept of Education and he said that because of his mother's unfailing lesson of hope, he's determined to make sure as many children as possible have something besides water in the pot.

I think about my children and wonder if I could constantly encourage them to believe in the full pot if time and again there was nothing to feed them. We are so, so lucky.

Theta

Sent from my iPad