TheBanyanTree: To Those Down Under

Peter Macinnis petermacinnis at ozemail.com.au
Thu Sep 5 01:01:04 PDT 2013

On 2/09/2013 17:16, Kate wrote:
> The University of Canterbury (which is on the west side) did suffer from damage, but not catastrophic compared to other parts of the city.

Just replying to this, rather than Kate's later comment, my daughter
Cate was stuck there for a day or so after the quake, and being a
scientist, talked mainly to Canterbury scientists until she could fly out.

They were adamant, in the immediate aftermath, that the University of
Canterbury stood up well because the buildings were over-engineered, but
I think that in hindsight, they stood up as much as anything because
they were out of the main zone.

The other thing is what lies below the ground.  Mexico City (pedants may
sneer, but that's what most of us call it), 1985, took a pasting because
it was sitting on uncompacted sediments, and in Australia (supposedly
earthquake free), Hamilton in Newcastle at the end of 1989 was also on
uncompacted sediments.  I have no idea what is below Christchurch, but
liquefaction usually indicates a fair depth of sediment.

As Kate said, New Zealand is a beautiful place.

--
Peter Macinnis, boutique word herder & science gossip,
stand-up chameleon and part-time lay-down misère: