TheBanyanTree: Random Thoughts

Jim Miller jim at maze.cc
Fri Dec 13 11:40:34 PST 2013

Ah Russ,

You make me think of my Ham stories. (back then I made 2m equipment of of
old taxi radios and surplus police radios - imagine how much current a 6
volt to 600 volt dynamotor sucks. I let my license lapse when I got in the
two-way radio business. It was no longer fun. My father-in-law maintained
his license most of his life. (W7PLV) I renewed it for him the last time.
He passed away last year, and a few months ago my oldest son asked me for
grandpa's death certificate. As a surviving relative, he had first option
on the call sign. He studied and got his license then made application for
the call sign. He now proudly displays HIS call sign, W7PLV.

Second story is about Friday the 13th. I'm with you; No Big Deal - make it
my lucky day. When I was first diagnosed with heart disease in 1996, I was
scheduled for a heart cath. Linda always rushes to the Internet for risk
assessment, and she was concerned. The cardiologist (later fired) gave her
a flippant answer that was NO comfort. After the procedure was complete and
I survived, Linda said, "Do you know what today is?" I answered, "Sure,
Friday February 13." she suggested that I should think about it more. When
I remained obtuse, she reminded me that both my Dad and Step Dad died on
February 13. She always tells me these things after the fact. Obviously
Friday the 13th is a lucky day for ME.

Jim