TheBanyanTree: Stories

Monique Colver monique.colver at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 19:08:23 PST 2013

No, I don't feel sorry for you. I don't feel sorry for anyone. What I said
was, "I'm sorry you had to go through that," which isn't the same thing as
feeling sorry for you. We've all had painful life experiences. I wrote a
book about it. Some people know that about me, and some don't.

I know a really really nice person, and I avoid her. She's so nice that I
can't stand it, because if she knows that I'm in pain, which I sometimes
am, she gets the saddest puppy dog look at on her face, as if someone had
just stamped on her ant farm. It makes me want to scream. Once we were at a
conference, and I was limping around because at the time my knee was acting
up. Every time I saw her, which was every hour or so, depending, she'd look
at me with those big sad eyes and ask, "Is it better yet?"

Finally I had to say, "Please stop asking me that -- it's just bad, and
it's not getting better for awhile, especially since I'm running around the
conference on it."

I don't feel sorry for people, I only express a version of empathy that
they had to experience it, which some people take badly.

I'm sorry.

I won't do it again.

Really.

I'm very sorry.