TheBanyanTree: rowing

Teague, Julie Anna jateague at indiana.edu
Fri Sep 7 10:36:34 PDT 2012

Quoting Laura Hicks <wolfljsh at gmail.com>:

> On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 12:06 PM, Teague, Julie Anna
> <jateague at indiana.edu>wrote:
>
>> Dave, as I mentioned, a very experienced rower, said that he, too, had to
>> stay pretty focused and then quoted Stephen Crane, of the men rowing in the
>> open boat out on the ocean, "None of them knew the color of the sky."  In
>> that moment, the words were so evocative.
>

> So I guess he's forgiven for not getting the Monty Python reference?

ha ha ha!  As long as a person can quote someone other than Homer
Simpson, I can hang with them as a running buddy.  You've got to be
able to talk about something on a ten mile run.  My best running buddy,
Tanya, is out of commission with a stress fracture in her foot.  And
she's a wonderful running buddy, but God love her, she reads mostly
trashy fiction, has dubious taste in movies, and doesn't go in much for
current events or politics as discussion topics.  But she's a woman,
so, you know, we can talk about our periods for ten miles.  KIDDING.
Tanya and I have made it through twenty six miles together, and all the
training miles getting to that point, without having read a single book
in common (until she coerced me into reading "Outlander", which we, in
the end, agreed to disagree on). We manage a comfortable silence at
times.  With running buddy Dave, on the other hand, we usually run out
of miles before we run out of things to discuss. So the miles speed by,
and that's a good thing.  Dave has bred an entire family of
over-achievers who would not know a Monty Python if it bit them on the
arse, so to speak, but who are all now at Harvard or they are twelve
years old and on the verge of becoming world-renowned violin virtuosos.

And speaking of spewing literary quotes, my darling younger son--the
one who nearly flunked out of high school because he didn't do any of
the homework whatsoever (he didn't need to, he figured, since he
already knew the material) and who is now in community college trying
to prove that he is as smart as he actually is--quoted Sophocles to me
the other day.  "An unexamined life is not worth living," he tells me,
"Discuss."  Funny kid, that one.  He got an A+ on his first philosophy
test.  If college can manage to keep him entertained, he might deign to
do the work.