TheBanyanTree: Of Authors, Writing and other things; Warning - lengthy

Peter Macinnis petermacinnis at ozemail.com.au
Wed Nov 21 15:44:22 PST 2012

On 22/11/2012 08:28, Roger wrote:
> Incidentally I agree with Peter about the need for professional editing
> etc, this to me is a must regardless of traditional or self puiblishing.

And as the hardest-nosed of the hard-nosed scientists on the list, I
endorse what Roger says about what some of my mates would call woo-woo.
  It has its place in the cupboard of cures.

You can't find a scientific mechanism for most of it, and alternative
stuff may work by mind over matter or by the placebo effect, or it may
work in some more mysterious way.  The point is that it works, at least
for some people.  Dunno why, doesn't matter.  Results count.

Herbal remedies may well work (think digitalis, quinine or aspirin), but
as a scientist with an interest in toxicology, I know that the dosage
can vary wildly in herbal samples, and possibly that variation could be
dangerous. There is a local firm here that sells supplements and stuff,
based on traditional medicine, but with careful dose control.  They do
well out of it, and good luck to them.

I see no contradiction in people getting a reasonable return for the
effort they make.  I specifically reserve the term "charlatan" for those
who milk their patients of all their money in exchange for coloured
water.  Those people don't share their help without seeing some folding
stuff, lots of it.

I guess what I am saying is that I keep an open mind, but I don't need a
hole in my head to prove that I have an open mind.  Now right now, I am
struggling with back pain that will likely see me go over to the
alternative side Real Soon Now, but in the interim, there's a serious
editing job on the block.

Just as soon as I have laid a traditional ant bait (borax and sugar) for
the little black ants that are invading our bedroom.

hooroo

peter

--
Peter Macinnis, Manly, the birthplace of Australian surfing
feral word herder, also herbal remedies, bespoke fish