TheBanyanTree: Sluts, anyone? **Sexually Explicit Language**

Monique Colver monique.colver at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 14:05:44 PST 2012

There is no we. There are those people over there on that side, and there
are those people over on the other side. And then there are the people who
wish to be part of neither side, so there's a third side. And a fourth. And
a fifth.

And it's always the other side that's the problem.

That's not my side of course, so if you're with me, you're one of the smart
ones. And so I shall call the other side lemmings, or sheeple, or whatever
the current term is, because it means all of you who don't think like I do,
who blindly follow the dictates of your irresponsible stupid leaders.

There is no we. Not in the grand scheme of things, the scheme that says
we're all fighting the good fight, that we're the ones who know best. There
is us, and there is them, and there is me, and there is you. But there is
no cohesive we, as in "we the people."

We the people don't even speak the same language. (And I'm not even talking
about the "This is America! We must all speak English or die!" camp.) We
don't have the same goals, the same aspirations, the same world view. What
we are is a mishmash trying to act as one, and since that's as easy as
getting oil and water to mix, the results aren't very useful.

Limbaugh is an abomination. Just my personal opinion. (Personal opinions
being the only kind I can have, but I still like to use "personal" in front
of it, as if to make it clear it's mine alone.) From his camp I hear, "If
she's using that many condoms, she must be a slut!" As if they don't
understand what contraceptives are. As if the pill is something they've
never heard of before. As if it's only for preventing pregnancy. And I
think to myself, "Are these people truly idiots or what?"

But that's just my opinion. I'm sure they think the same thing of me. "Take
responsibility for yourself," seems to be a common theme, because, as you
know, I'm certainly not working my ass off to make a living but am instead
living off the largesse of the conservatives. So they say.

And even though I try to understand other points of view it seems to keep
coming back to this: I can't, because it's not mine. I don't understand the
language. I don't understand where they've gotten the ideas they have. I
don't know how anyone can listen to certain commentators without puking.
They think the same of my side.

Aside: When reading some of the comments on this subject yesterday I came
across one that made me laugh out loud. I don't usually laugh out loud,
despite my heavy handed use of LOL. The commenter said that people without
morals (which he defined as those who use birth control) are playing right
into the hands of Satin.

Satin is the devil's material, of course, not the devil himself. I wanted
to ask the commenter what his opinion of brushed velvet was, but was afraid
of the answer. That, and I never involve myself in these things. It's
pointless. No one's going to change their mind by me pointing out anything,
just like I don't change my mind by reading what they write.

So no, we don't listen to Limbaugh or anyone else like a bunch of lemmings.
Because there is no we. There is the right side (which is the side of
whoever is stating they're on the right side) and the wrong side (which is
always the other side, not the side we're on, or we wouldn't be on it,
would we?).

There is no we, but there's plenty of us on all sides.

That's not supposed to make a lot of sense, so don't worry about it.

I'm just happy to have people on the side I'm on.

Monique Colver