TheBanyanTree: Snake Whisperer

Janice Money pmon3694 at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jun 27 15:31:04 PDT 2012

Pam wrote:

Finally, FINALLY, I got the nerve to walk on by, on the OTHER side of the
walkway!!  And when I came back in the gate, I was searching nervously
again, but I don't know what ever happened to him, where he went, or what
he's doing.  I was watching under cars in the parking lot, wondering if
there was another snake cousin laying in wait near my tires.  Gawd, talk
about skittish!!!  Snakes in every shadow...
--------

We have a largish temple flower tree (it's a variety of frangipani) growing
next to and overhanging our letter box.  The woman next door once called out
to me as I was on my way to the box and told me that she had seen a snake in
the tree earlier that day and I should watch out.  She said she thought it
was a green tree snake.

I don't know much about snakes except that I don't like them.  I think green
tree snakes are pythons that squeeze rather than bite.  I don't know.  She
didn't know if it really was a green tree snake.  There are king browns and
all sorts of other deadly biting snakes in these parts.  Do they get up into
trees?  I don't know.

As you might imagine, I checked that tree out very carefully before getting
under it and collecting the mail. And I've done that every day since.  It
must be getting on for about four years now that I've been scared there
might be a snake in that tree.  I mean, I'm pretty sure there isn't but I
still have to check.

Janice