TheBanyanTree: bittersweet

Monique Colver monique.colver at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 15:03:14 PST 2012

I was never a hippie. I never wanted to change the world, I just wanted to
find my place in it. I never did, not really, and I'm pretty content with
that.

I can't change the world. I can only change myself.

I never wanted to join a movement, be a part of something, Contribute In A
Meaningful Way. I could have joined the establishment, or I could have
joined the anti-establishment, and either way, I wanted no part of it, or I
did, and then I didn't. The first half of my life was about survival.

Here's the thing. So much has improved since then. So much has not. But
that's kind of the way things go with the world. We have our setbacks, and
then we move forward again. Then setbacks.

Here's what I do: I work on taking care of the little pieces around me that
are in my control. I work on my stuff. I call people out on their stupid
stuff. And like most people, I keep going. I hope people get something from
what I write, but if they don't, I haven't failed, because I know that
usually someone, somewhere, has gotten something out of it. That's what I
do. That's really all I can do. I don't expect to change the world -- the
world is big, amorphous, and messy. I only expect to make a difference to
those closest to me, and that comes from how I treat them. I can't change
anyone except myself, and I'm fine with that.

Monique Colver