TheBanyanTree: Zeek Rewards as a Business Model?

Theta Brentnall tybrent at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 14:58:33 PDT 2012

When Darling Lizzie was about 12 or so, she would get so upset with us
when we'd get a call that we'd "won" something and all we had to do was
sit through a sales pitch for whatever, and we'd tell them we weren't
interested and hang up.  I couldn't understand why we kept getting these
calls and finally found out that she'd been signing us up for the "free"
things where ever she saw them.  So one night a guy called about this
great deal for a cruise club.  All we had to do was sign up for their
free seminar (read sales pitch) and we'd get as a minimum a voucher for
a free 3-day cruise for 2 out of LA down to Mexico and back.  Lizzie was
adamant that we weren't losing out on this great deal, and since the
pitch was pretty close to us, we agreed to go and waste a couple of
hours, but she had to come with us.

It was just what you'd expect this kind of thing to be.  The members
(read: victims) bought into this cruise club for $5,000 and then they
got to get cruise tickets for all the luxury cruises they wanted for
only about 10% of the going rate.  Details were sketchy on the when,
what and where, but it was such a great deal.  Well, the kid's not
stupid.  She started asking questions that they didn't want to answer,
and because we were being so uncooperative, they brought the "closer"
over to our table.  The guy was beyond sleazy, and he used all the
negotiating tricks in the book (and Ger and I, both negotiators for the
Air Force, had the book memorized.)  The great thing was to watch
Lizzie's body language go from involved/interested to "get away from me,
you snake."  We finally said we'd spent enough time - it was a school
night - just give us the voucher for the cruise and we'll be gone.

We got the voucher, and on the way home, Liz started reading it in all
its fine print.  First, if one of the people was under 21, the other one
had to be over 25, and since the idea was for Liz and Darling Maggie to
go on this, she was displeased about that.  Then there were the
black-out dates, which were scattered at about 4 week intervals through
the whole year, plus 2 weeks before and after each date.  Hmmm.  That
works out to the only time you could actually use it was in a month that
had more than 4 weeks.  When she got a calendar, she discovered that it
was actually only good for three sailings during the year, and of
course, every voucher they handed out was going to only be valid on
those same three dates and there was limited space for voucher holders,
and so on and so forth.  What a complete rip-off!

A few weeks later we got a follow=up call from the cruise club. She
happened to answer the call, and it did a mom's heart good to hear that
sweet child rip into the caller about his scummy outfit being immoral,
unethical, lying, cheating, stealing candy from babies, no good rats.
It was well worth those couple of hours of our time to have her learn
the lesson so well stated by Robert Heinlein:  TANSTAFL:  There ain't no
such thing as a free lunch.

Theta