TheBanyanTree: Reading-old books for decoration

smack58 at nycap.rr.com smack58 at nycap.rr.com
Wed Oct 26 06:57:02 PDT 2011

I do, too.  I found them in a library book sale and they are dated 1920, 1934 and 1939.  One is from the "Colonel's Series".  It was made into a movie that Shirley Temple starred in.  No, I won't read them, but I will pass them down to my daughters and/or granddaughters for their beauty.  Maybe they will read them.

I just sent two atlas's to my grandson dated 1924 and 1919.  He LOVED them and noted that they did not have Israel on them.  I told them because Israel did not exist then as a state/country.  We had a wonderful chat on how Israel came to be and win their place in the world.

You just never know where books will lead you...

Sharon
---- auntiesash <auntiesash at gmail.com> wrote:
I dunno.  I have a couple of really beautiful old books that I will never
read and think are lovely, so those are just decorations.  Some end papers
are stunning, and the embossing or color choices are amazing.  I think books
can be incredibly decorative.  That's not why I buy books and, when you have
heaps and stacks of them, they may lose their decorative advantage, but if
people wanna buy books cause they are pretty, I don't see anything wrong
with that.  I bet the books' authors and publishers are ok with it too.

And maybe, if they don't read the books, someone else will wander through
and read them??

--
You are a fine person, Mr Baggins, and I am very fond of you;
    but you are only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all!”

“Thank goodness!” said Bilbo laughing