TheBanyanTree: Reading

smack58 at nycap.rr.com smack58 at nycap.rr.com
Wed Oct 26 06:49:14 PDT 2011

I am sorry to say, Kitty, the same for me, but that just seemed to move my children faster into learning to read.  They wanted to know what those mysterious little marks said.  Here is a poem I wrote for my youngest when he went off to Kindergarten (who is now 29 and an avid reader along with the rest of my kids).  I hope you enjoy.

LITTLE MAN

He sat there
like a little man.
Back straight
Face somber
Thinking
Silent
Hands folded in his lap
Bear bag on his back.

I pulled the car
to the large double doors
and asked him
if he wanted me to walk him
to his class
not wanting to let him go
alone.

No, he said.
No, I know where to go,
His little hands grasped
the door handle;
Out he went
walking small,
walking tall,
suddenly stopping
he turned
before I could pull the car door shut
behind him.

Walking back to the car
He leaned his elbows upon the seat,
Placing his head on his fists
and said
Just think, Mom,
when I am done,
I'll be able
to read!"

@Sharon Mack 1988

---- Kitty <mzzkitty at sssnet.com> wrote:
Your post touched my heart.  I didn't read to my children.  Reading aloud
put *me* to sleep and I was so intent on the words that I couldn't make
sense of what I was reading.  (Does that make sense?)

It's possible that my negligence may have adversely affected my children's
enjoyment of reading.  Or perhaps it's just that they don't enjoy it as much
as I do when done silently!

However, you created memories for your sons that are cherished by all of
you.

You're a great dad and a model for all parents.

Kitty
mzzkitty at sssnet.com
kcp-parkplace.blogspot.com
parkplaceohio.com