TheBanyanTree: a short story

Dale M. Parish parishdm at att.net
Tue Oct 11 16:21:04 PDT 2011

> Two guys standing at the side of the road with hand-lettered cardboard
signs,
> but instead of the usual (homeless, living in car, laid off, need money
for
> food/beer/narcotics, etc) their signs said, "need money for hunting."

Reminds me of a sign that appears most years-- crudely painted on a cheap
piece of CD plywood and wired to stand up against one of the reflectors
along the edge of the EasTex Freeway that carries hunters north from
Beaumont.  The message is pretty simple and gets a smile.

"Good luck, deer hunters.
Know that your wives are in
good hands while you are gone.
Juan and Pedro"