TheBanyanTree: The dark art of raising a teenager

Anita Coia anita at redpepper.net.au
Mon Nov 28 23:38:19 PST 2011

Oh dear.  I didn't know whether to laugh or cry reading your wonderful

I did like the idea of imagining he has been temporarily overtaken by an
alien, but it might be hard to keep that in mind when one of his four
parents or his older sister or sister's friends or his friends or one of the
many caring teachers at his school is picking up the pieces of something he
has forgotten or neglected that has impacted on other people.  I suppose
when he is left to fend for himself and also deal with other people's
reactions, he might work it out.

Julie, I too have given up on the diet angle. If he wants to drink Coke and
eat MSG-loaded packet Mee Goreng noodles for the rest of his life (largely
because he can't be bothered cooking, even though he CAN), well, so be it.
Apologies in advance to the taxpayers who will be subsidising the medical
care required as a result.  And apologies to his future wife (or wives) - we
have all tried very hard!

Teenagers - punishment for the sins of our own youth.  J

Anita