TheBanyanTree: Happy Veterans Day

Theta Brentnall tybrent at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 11:24:54 PST 2011

I have to say that as a Viet Nam era veteran, I certainly appreciate the
love.  Our church does a montage of photos of all our veterans, starting
with pictures of the all-American heroes who just happened to have
parents or grandparents who immigrated from Japan before the second
World War and going through the years and the wars to the young men and
women in uniform today who we all remember from funny episodes during
Children's Moment or the Christmas pageants, surely just a year or two
ago.  Frank Kageta, a sweet little guy who calls me to remind me to
spray the apple trees or comes over to see if I need help pruning them,
just received the Bronze Star and Congressional Gold Medal for his
actions as a warrior of the 442nd Combat Battalion 70 years ago.  A
little late, but well deserved although he tells me that all the fuss is
really embarrassing.  That seems to be the way with heroes.  They find
the fuss embarrassing.

When Gerry was a brand new 2Lt he got the dubious duty of serving on the
Officer's Club advisory board when he was assigned to Hanscom AFB just
outside of Boston (like they would have taken any advice from a
butter-bar!) One of his tasks was to figure out who all the people were
who had honorary memberships in the club.  Most of them were Selectmen
or city officials of the surrounding towns of Concord, Bedford, and
Lexington, but there was one engineer who worked for a company down the
road from the base, a guy named Jay Zeamer.  So Gerry, being a brash
young thing, called him, told him what he was doing and asked why he was
an honorary member.  They guy laughed and said he could be dropped from
the roster - no big deal - but Gerry kept asking and he finally said
with a depreciating laugh, that he'd "somehow" ended up with the Medal
of Honor.  You can check out his story at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGt8gQulPcM

I'd agree with what Jay Zeamer says at the end of his interview:  there
are lots of people who do heroic things that never get recognized.  Like
Monique, I was never in the line of fire, and I'm certainly no hero, but
I know that I served in the company of heroes, even if that just meant
doing the job under miserable conditions and making sure everything was
done right.  So thank you, too, my sister in blue, for doing a job that
was important, and thank you for putting $10 in the hand of someone who
needed it more than you did.

Theta