TheBanyanTree: Floods

Roger Pye pyewood at pcug.org.au
Fri Jan 14 14:45:06 PST 2011

(Thanks for your query, Tom. It deserved a much better answer than it
got; unfortunately I have been tied up with a few crises this week and
it ain't over yet.)

For once I am speechless (almost!) - the last seven days after weeks of
almost non-stop rain SE Queensland has suffered its worst flood since
1893 and what do we get from The McInnis? A throwaway line about
bullsharks in the streets of Brisbane, the state capital. The following
quote is from the blog of a very good friend of mine:

> my hero of the week is 24 year old Constable Chloe Beattie, who found herself stranded by floodwaters on the Warrego Highway at the tiny township of Withcott on Monday afternoon as an 8-metre wall of water swept down the valley, bearing down on the town.  Constable Beattie singlehandedly coordinated an orderly evacuation and rescues, directing traffic, moving people to high ground and ensuring all was done calmly in the face of the most extraordinary circumstances.  After the event she brushed aside any suggestion of heroism, saying that she was just doing her job.  No, Constable Beattie, this was over and above the call of duty.  Trying to estimate the number of lives this young police officer saved through her action is only speculation, but what is certain is that there are people alive now who would not be had she not kept her head and taken charge in a chaotic and deadly situation.

Toowoomba is a city of 130,000 people inland 100 kms west of Brisbane. A
9-metre wall of water tore its way through the CBD turning what is
normally a placid meandering creek into a raging torrent which sucked
people out of buildings, cars out of carparks and flooded houses to
their rooftops. Grantham, a small town in the Lockyer Valley, ceased to
exist in five minutes flat when the same wall of water went through. In
Brisbane, amongst many other occurrences, a 300 metre section of
concrete riverwalk complete with lightpoles, hand rails and the like was
uprooted and sent floating downstream at 12 knots towards the Gateway
Bridge. A tugboat driver scored hero acclaim by going out and nudging it
through without it colliding with any pillars.

There are 16 people dead in this area, 61 missing.

For more about the floods (which are in many places here besides
Brisbane) check out the brisbane times, sydney morning herald, the
melbourne age, Australian ABC radio. For more from the above blog see
<http://coffeewithruby.wordpress.com/>

Roger