TheBanyanTree: Companioned

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Sat Feb 26 18:12:57 PST 2011

Which is  why I have all my dogs "chipped"; a microchip inserted under the
skin of their  neck The number is registered with Humane societies, vets,
and some rescue  organizations.  That is how Buddy came home.

A  couple of years ago, when we realized we had too many dogs, we
fortunately  found someone who would take a pair, mother and son.  It seemed ideal,
they were neighbors of friends, and since we knew them slightly, and felt
they  had a good and stable home, we felt comfortable placing the dogs with
them.

Come the Summer of 2010; a veterinarian in a town far to our north called.
"We have your dog."  I checked. "No," I replied, "They are all here."
Well," went on the vet, "this is a little two-toned brown one and the chip says
 he's yours."

I leaped, leapt, whatever, into the car and drove to the far far away town.
 The woman who found the dog lived in a trailer park. I turned into the
driveway,  and saw her with Buddy in her arms. Buddy leaped, leapt, whatever
out of her  arms and dashed right to me.  "No doubt who he belongs to," the
woman said.  She said she would have kept him, but the trailer park had a pet
limit, and she  already had two other dogs.

Of the mother dog, we later learned the rest of Buddy's story.  The  family
we had placed the dogs with, decided they had too much, with a baby on  the
way and two dogs, so they placed the two with another family (without our
knowledge.)  The second family often left them outside. One day, they ran
down the road, and the mother dog was hit by a car and died.

Apparently, they continued leaving Buddy outside, for the trailer park was
but a few blocks from the development where the second family  lived.    I
didn't call them.  Buddy is home to stay.

I asked  about tags, and
of course, the dog didn’t wear any.  Axel and Shadow  have their rabies
tags,
which if someone called the vet, the dogs’ owner  (me) could be identified,
and their dog license tags, which if they call  animal control, the dogs
could be identified.

mom