TheBanyanTree: Scheduling Kids

TLW tlwagener at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 16:41:06 PST 2011

I am happy to report that not all kids are over-scheduled.  That's a class
issue, I believe.  The three kids who live in the house in my fourplex's
backyard are out playing in the yard and riding bikes and throwing the ball
for my dog for a couple of hours every afternoon.  Joel has a tutor twice a
week, and Genesis takes piano on Wednesdays, but otherwise, they are out
playing make-believe and having tea parties and setting out picnics and
pretending to be zombies, just as kids should.

Jasper (my dog) left them each a box of conversation hearts for Valentine's
Day.  To thank him, they decided to make him a Dog Food Casserole.  They
pounded Charlie Bear treats to a powder with a mallet, then mixed that with
a banana and peanut butter and pressed it into a lovely bone shape.  This
project took them well over an hour.  Jasper supervised, then wolfed the
thing down.

A fine success for all involved.  :->