TheBanyanTree: Management 101

Woofie woofie at woofess.org
Fri Feb 11 19:47:23 PST 2011

Folks,
I have been thinking.
Yes I know, I don't do that very often, so quit with the smart-arse
repartee..OK? Yeah..I am looking at YOU - button up!:)

As I said, I have been thinking. I have come to the conclusion that
there are three main types of folks in any organisation.  Yeah, I know
there are probably more, but let's just stick with the three, cuz I am
buggered if I am gonna include alla other riff raff groups!

Anyhows, there are three main groups:

Managers
Back-room-boys
Ciphers

Managers are folks who are across all the workings of their underlings.
Managers may have limited intellectual prowess (that's because to become
a manager they have to undergo a frontal lobotomy and a few other
brainotomy ops first), but they are very good at running their section
and keeping an eye on the big picture. They are also very good at people
skills, such as empathising with their people. Their worst faults are to
create unecessary work for their underlings and to interfere in their
underlings' work which causes more work for the said underlings. Their
very worse fault is to get the silly notion into their little heads
(somewhat shrunken due to loss of grey matter) that they can actually do
some of the jobs their intellectual superiors (ie their underlings) do.
When this happens a whole organisation can go under!

Back-room-boys are like their description. They like their space and
their privacy soze they can concentrate on the tasks at hand. Their
tasks are analytical ones. They are problem solvers and use logical
deduction and reasoning to do their work. People are objects which are
annoying interruptions. Many people have emotions. Even worse, these
particular people use emotional reasoning to deal with problems or tasks
their jobs. If something "feels" good or right, it must be so, even if
there is a perfectly logical reason and facts which negate their
beliefs. These people drive back-room-boys freakin' crazy. In fact they
drive them so freakin crazy, that back-room-boys want to force idjits
(aka these people) to watch the following video every time they open
their traps and say something stupid!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMvMb90hem8
But they don't cuz idjits would prolly burst out crying and go into a
decline or summat and cause even more of a disruption!

Ciphers are the efficient, dependable task carry outers in an
organisation. Every organisation needs lots of these dudes, else not
much would get done. The main problem with ciphers is that they are
procedural types. They have to be given a procedure with every step
spelled out and the iiis dotted and the tttts crossed. Most importantly,
the individual steps in any procedure must be in numbered order!!
Disaster strikes if the numbered steps get out of sync and cyphers just
seize up and collapse.

So, there they are, the three types and any organisation  and its
inhabitants will rub along tolerably well, as long as the three types
don't get mixed up.

Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond control, sometimes one of
these types has to work in another type's role.

This is what is happening to the Woofess currently. Her boss has gone
off to do good deeds in Cambodia or Laos or somewhere around there,
leaving the Woofess to run the ship. Even without the compulsory
brainotomies given to managers in permanent positions, woofesses could
cope with the role change OK - not well, cuz this  Woofess, being a
back-room-boy, lacks the skill set to be a good manager. This Woofess is
happy to do her boss' job cuz he is a good boss and deserves a break.
But, what really throws off woofesses is having to deal with bloody
people! People who are not back-room-boys are so emotional and noisy and
distracting and continually demanding and interrupting!!

After a week of this, the Woofess is a shattered wreck of motheaten fur
and blood shot eyes due to lack of sleep.

This cannot be allowed to continue!

The Woofess is taking action!

Starting Monday she is locking herself in the boss's office, taking the
phone off the hook and refusing to answer any emails!

Maybe then she can get some work done!
W:)