TheBanyanTree: Idora Park is Gone

smack58 at nycap.rr.com smack58 at nycap.rr.com
Thu Feb 3 10:27:50 PST 2011

When I was a little girl my parents used to take all of us kids (there were 5 of us) to an amusement park called Idora Park in Ohio where we lived at the time.  My younger brother, Jerome, did a search last week just for the heck of it and found out it had a sad, sad history and now no longer exists.  My mother always made it a big day with picnic lunch and all.  Those were the days when women did not wear slacks.  She was always dressed in a skirt and blouse and heels.  Daddy always sat on the picnic bench a bit anxious to be home because "the game" was coming on.  But mother ignored him and we stayed anyway and had some of the best times of our lives there

When Jerome emailed me the story about Idora Park's demise I found this old poem I had written as a girl of about 12.  It's a bit simple but you'll get the point about that crazy roller coaster ride.

THE LAST ROLLER COASTER RIDE

Gleaming,

beaming,

thrills