TheBanyanTree: Tales of a Woodcat

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Wed Dec 28 21:16:13 PST 2011

Some  folks have chicks, some people HAVE chicks.  I got mine by mail, 50
day  old reds, forty-eight survived to adulthood, and all were named, the
names  coming as they grew and assumed personalities or markings to distinguish
them  from all the others.   They lived in a  roofed pen off the barn  with
a chicken wire playyard attached. As they grew, the outdoor pen was
enlarged to accommodate their romps and wanderings, and where they had access  to
the compartmented bookcase where they lay their eggs.

We supplied the neighborhood with eggs and jobs, when I had need to hire
youngsters to help with occasional cleanup. Normally, the commercial chicken
people only kept their hens two years. I kept mine as long as they
continued to  lay, five or six years.  The older the hens got, the fewer feathers
they  sported, but the larger came the eggs, most of them double-yoked.

The old hens started disappearing when the flock reached seven years in
age. The laying became more sparing, so the disappearance was not
heart-breaking, except when a favorite did not show for morning feeding.   We
eventually found out that the neighboring pair of eagles, nesting in the dead  top
branches of a four-story pine, were feeding their chicks my  chicks.   By the
time the remaining hens were reaching their eighth  year, there were only a
couple left.  Then there were none.

That flock was my one and only venture into chick-keeping, and I still miss
 the morning ruckus and the chasing about after my shoelaces.

NancyLee