TheBanyanTree: Pets

Kitty mzzkitty at sssnet.com
Wed Dec 7 09:50:20 PST 2011

In my bathroom I have a linen closet with a bi-fold door.  When Simon and
Lilli were kittens they would sometimes bring small toys (a ball or stuffed
"mouse") in and eventually bat the item under the door where it was not only
hidden but unavailable.  Thus, I began leaving the door ajar so they could
fetch their toys without my assistance.

Now they're cats.  And Simon likes to climb.  The other day he'd been on the
upper shelf of that closet where the towels are kept. I know that because I
found those towels on the floor of the closet after he had exited.  So now
the door is kept closed.  Too bad, Puddy Tat!

It is now apparent that Simon has developed a sense of "what I want, I'll
get."

While I was in the bathroom a few minutes ago, Simon stood on his hind legs
and batted at the door where it meets the jamb, trying to open it with
repetitious patting and lateral motion.  When that didn't work, he went to
the joint in the middle of the door where it folds outward to open, laid
down, put his paw under the door and *pried* it open!  Then he went to his
original position, patted and pushed and eventually opened the darned thing
wide enough so he could get into the closet!

Now he's in the kitchen plaintively meowing.  My previous responses to that
sound haven't indicated any problem other than to observe him sitting at the
door to the garage.  Why?  This is the place I often put treats when I'm
going out to run errands.  Evidently he wants me to leave, or at the least,
give him something crunchy to eat.

Kitty
mzzkitty at gmail.com
kcp-parkplace.blogspot.com