TheBanyanTree: a million ways

smack58 at nycap.rr.com smack58 at nycap.rr.com
Wed Aug 10 04:48:21 PDT 2011

OMG!!!!  This IS my son!  It just has to be.  Same scenario exactly.  He lives 30 minutes away and still comes for weekend dinners sometimes (gas is hard for him to come by and I stopped paying for it), but I can't help but indulge him on occasion at the grocery store with good fruits and veggies.

Sharon
---- Julie Anna Teague <jateague at indiana.edu> wrote:
There are a million ways to break a mother's heart.  One way is to send
a text message, three days after you have moved into your first place
away from home, that says, "Reeeally miss that home cooking about now!"
  I picture my almost 21 year old son--in whom I have tried to
inculcate some basic cooking skills and nutritional knowledge--coming
home from his really hard summer landscaping job hot and exhausted and
without a clue (despite everything) where to start in on preparing a
good dinner for himself, and thus wasting away.  Maybe missing his
mother a little, too.  Maybe.  I asked him what was for dinner at his
place and he told me quesadillas, which is the one thing he makes well
but with alarming frequency, and he doesn't take the time to make a
fresh salsa with lots of veggies to go on top like I do.  I told him he
could come for dinner any time he wanted.  And that I miss his smile.
He texted back, "I miss your's too."  And thus begins our adventure on
becoming a mother who learns how to give space for growth, and a man
who learns how to live on his own.  He's only fifteen minutes away.
We'll both survive.  But there is going to be some heartache for
awhile, I'm telling you.  My heart physically hurts a little since a
big piece of it shoved off and moved across town, and my eyes have been
springing leaks in my more contemplative moments.

Julie