TheBanyanTree: A Stew Dream

Janice Money pmon3694 at bigpond.net.au
Sun Apr 24 01:52:15 PDT 2011

A "visit" dream?  I didn't know they had a name.

If I dream regular dreams I almost never remember them.  But the two "visit"
dreams I've had have stayed with me for more than twenty years.  They came
in the first weeks after my father died.

The first was full of symbolic imagery; an open square surrounded by tall
buildings full of blankly reflecting windows, and me in one corner of the
square standing under what I can only call a blighted prickle tree.  My
father came and stood at my side.  He was wearing a tweed jacket, the rough
woollen sort that prickles.  He put out his arm for me to hold, as though
inviting me to walk by his side.  I took hold of his arm and , yes, the
cloth felt prickly, but underneath was his strong, familiar arm.  And then I
woke, feeling sure for the first time in my life that my father had loved
me, and feeling forgiven for not having been able to save him.

The second came a couple of weeks later.  My father was sitting, gazing at
me from behind a low brick wall that stood on an immense sandy beach.
Behind him was a dark ocean that lapped gently on the shore.  It's rippled
surface glistened gold in the light of the setting sun.  And then I woke,
feeling as though he'd said goodbye who hadn't been able to speak for the
last seven weeks of his life.

The manner of my father's death obsessed me for the first five years and my
wounds were raw for the first ten.  Complicated grief.  Probably it would
have been worse but for those two dreams.  I think they came from God.

Janice