TheBanyanTree: Waning Friendship

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Sun Apr 10 22:16:30 PDT 2011

There have been time in life, when the intensity and intimacy of "best
friends" fades.  When I was a school girl, and my family moved across town,  or
out of state, to my young mind, there was nothing worse than parting from
my  best friend. Oh, such weeping, such mourning. I hated my new school, had
no  friends, and could not wait to get home and call my best friend and tell
her  everything. Of course, as time went on, we both got busy, made new
friends, and  the phone calls dwindled until we were lucky to talk once a
month, or on  holidays, and eventually rarely at all.

Since then, friendship throughout my life have bloomed and faded as
distance or time or just a difference of opinion caused the weakening of
friendships. Perhaps having a family and adult purpose made the need for such  deep
friendships less.

But, since I am of an age where family duty is nearly nil, the need for
close friends comes again to the forefront. Since my divorce, I especially
needed companionship and the closeness of a best friend. And, when one
developed, and seemed chiseled in stone, we decided to move in together, for
financial reasons as well as companionship. For years, we meshed, tolerated our
differences with grace, and found enjoyment and comfort in having someone
to  share interests and activities and gossip.

This time, there was no moving away or change in lifestyle that caused the
ending.  It was mere time. I could not say with honesty that it was even
the differences wore us both down, though time also made it harder to be so
graceful about them. We did develop new interests, new goals, and perhaps
those  things shifted us a bit apart. I can not put my finger on it, but
eventually, it  was decided, mutually, I might add, that parting was in the best
interest of us  both.

A bit of weeping, a bit of mourning, for the closeness that ebbed rather
than the actual parting. She will move to her own space, not too far away,
for  we vow to remain friends, best friends if possible. Perhaps our being
alone no  longer frightens us as it might have done before. Perhaps it was
simply time,  and the intensity of the friendship merely faded.

So, my dearest friend, as we slip apart into our new lives, I will remember
 the love and the joy we shared. I will treasure and keep the secrets told.
I  feel privileged that we had years of a closeness not felt in marriage,
but only  between women friends.  You will always be my best friend, whether
we  connect daily, or once a month, or hardly at all.