TheBanyanTree: Some Muvvers really DO have em!!

Roger Pye pyewood at pcug.org.au
Mon May 24 04:17:55 PDT 2010

I learned something about your state (and Queensland too) yesterday from
Robin that I hadn't come across before - course, I've only been out here
40 years! Back in the days of pre-federation (1880-1900) when they were
working out what sort of parliament was best, how many representatives
the six states-to-be would have and all that jazz, the colonies of NSW
and Victoria wanted the number of senators in the upper house to be
based on the population numbers of each state. What this meant was that
WA, Qld and SA (South Australia) would have had less senators than NSW
or Qld because that was where the bulk of the population was.

It didn't happen that way because WA & Qld had the resources (mineral
wealth etc) that the federation (Commonwealth of Australia) needed to
operate. So each state in the upper house (the Australian Senate) has
the same number of senators regardless of the size of their populations.

And of course your state and Qld still do have the resources though I
think Qld's population is catching up with NSW. However, playing of the
secession card has been threatened before and hasn't happened yet - and
one can only cry 'Wolf' so many times before people just laugh and
ignore it.

As for McManly - only pity is they don't play REAL football down there!!

roger