TheBanyanTree: It Must Be Mother's Day Because it's Snowing

Roger Pye pyewood at pcug.org.au
Mon May 10 15:01:13 PDT 2010

The first snow fell on the Snowy Mountains of NSW a week ago. We all
felt its effect as the temperature plummeted (but not below zero, of
course). In the 'old' days before graziers transported their flocks by
truck there was a mountain legend that pre-winter snow would fall about
six weeks before winter set in proper. It was seen as a warning to
graziers who had summered their flocks and herds in the mountains to
begin walking them home again ('droving' down the long paddock). Today
the mountains are national park and so the sheep and cows do not graze
there any more but the legend - and the early snowfall - remain.

Roger