TheBanyanTree: just whistle

redd_clay at bellsouth.net redd_clay at bellsouth.net
Tue May 4 09:37:32 PDT 2010

Great picture, Tom! You're a lucky man.

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Smith <deserthiker2000 at yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 14:44:20
To: Banyan Tree<thebanyantree at lists.remsset.com>
Subject: TheBanyanTree: just whistle

Took the new camera on a walk along the creek near where I
live.  Set it up with the wide-field lens in hopes of
photographing swallows in flight.  They are passing through
this area now.  Didn't see any swallows, but caught yerba santa
in glorious bloom and a bee joined in the picture.

As I left the creek area a hawk swooped low and near and landed
on top of a telephone pole about 30 ft away.  I had wanted to
go for broke and take the best picture I could, so I changed to
the 300mm telephoto with a doubler.

The hawk was still there, but looking away.  I whistled.  The
hawk turned and I got the picture I wanted.

You can see it at

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9482738@N07/4575728998/