TheBanyanTree: cave days

Julie Anna Teague jateague at indiana.edu
Wed Mar 10 07:33:39 PST 2010

These are the days it gets hard for small creatures whose natural
habitat is gardens and woodlands and other outdoor spaces.  Small
creature like me who must work indoors in close, dark places the entire
day, lit only by the glow of computers and a few florescent fixtures.
The days when the temperature starts into the 50's and the sky is blue
and the air is so perfect and cool, and small creatures are stuck in
their caves, writing their code, making a living, storing their nuts
away--these are the hard days to get through.

I emerge from my cave to run a suddenly remembered errand.  Something,
I decide in desperation, which can't wait until five.  I emerge,
blinking, and my bright black creature eyes contract to pinpoints.  I
see my shadow but I am not afraid.  I scurry to the credit union to do
my importantized errand, taking the long way around the castle (student
union), following the brick paths under the towering sycamores, along
the creek and over the wood and stone bridge, duck into the Union for a
minute, and then reverse my path back to the cave.  The whole walk is
under 10 minutes.  Next time I will try to walk more slowly, but I get
bouncy and energized in all that air and sunshine and I go too fast.  I
don't make it last.  The air in the cave is that much more stifling and
the oxygen to carbon dioxide ratio is all wrong and the work is still
there, waiting for me.

Small creature sits in her cave and suffers in silence, plotting her
next escape.

Julie