TheBanyanTree: The lowly cent symbol

Monique Colver monique.colver at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 23:52:10 PDT 2010

Headed for? We're there, I'm afraid. We're all about honesty and
transparency and being authentic, and if that means a loss of grace, we
don't care (not me, of course, but those others, it's always those others),
we just go about our business certain we owe nothing to anyone except
ourselves. We don't care if our writing can be read at all, it doesn't
matter, because we type everything out or we think, if we write something,
that it's up to the reader to decipher it, and why should we make it any
easier for them? Let them figure it out, it's not our problem.

Which reminds me, I need to send out thank you cards, handwritten on my
embossed thank you cards with my logo. And I shall print neatly, so the
receiver can understand what I'm trying to say when I thank them, with the
utmost sincerity, for allowing me into their finances, where I poke and prod
the numbers until they perform astounding feats for me, such as balancing.

The numbers do not like being poked and prodded, and they, the numbers,
consider me a graceless and clumsy oaf who dares question them on the
validity. "But you don't understand!" I tell them beseechingly, "It's my
job!"

They don't care. Even the cents, who used to be so proper and proud of
themselves because they meant something then, and they were useful, but now
they huddle in corners plotting their revenge against a world that rounds up
to the nearest dollar.

We are all doomed. But not today.

Monique