TheBanyanTree: Medical day

Deb Frost snowgoose at mtaonline.net
Mon Feb 22 18:15:29 PST 2010

Hey Wolfie,

Sad to say ... I feel your pain, but I think our "glasses disaster" is maybe
even more frustrating.

Jerry broke his almost new prescription glasses in his accident last
September - frames and glasses, both. Considering all the rest of the damage
(to *him*!), the glasses weren't even on the horizon of my peripheral vision
at first.

A month after his accident, Jerry was finally sitting up in bed and
responding to questions and stimulus (even if not yet accurately), so they
had started serious occupational and speech therapy. His therapists needed
to know how much of his vision issues were related to his injury and what
was pre-existing. Besides, he needed to be able to see well enough to read
in order to re-learn HOW to read <sigh>.

So, I called his eye doctor and ordered a brand new pair of glasses, knowing
we would have to absorb the cost AND that since his eyesight would continue
changing as his TBI injury healed over time ... we would almost assuredly
need to have another full eye exam and new glasses again within six months
or so. Still, they wanted his most recent prescription so they could best
judge his vision changes.

Jerry had his expensive new pair of glasses for all of three days before
they disappeared at the hospital. We think they ended up accidentally pushed
off the bed-side table into the trash can below it. Keeping in mind, we were
dealing with a man with a brain injury who wasn't even sure where HE was
some of the time, you'd think the nurses and aides would be a little more
observant... <sigh>. We never saw them again - and the hospital "wasn't
liable for personal belongings" so they could care less. I was NOT a happy
camper!

The therapists ended up making do (and still are) with Jerry using an older
pair of prescription glasses (from about 5 years ago - which we should have
done in the first place <grumble>) for reading. No way am I going to pay for
another new pair until his eyes are stable - and he can remember where he
sets his glasses down reliably!

What the heck ... he isn't driving yet, anyway.

It's been a Looooong winter. :(
-Deb (Snowy) in Alaska

> Wolfie wrote:
> Right now I'm having to use my reading glasses to use the computer.  I've
pulled the monitor as far toward me as it will go on the stand, and I'm
leaning up over the keyboard so I can see the screen.

It's gonna be a looooong week.
--
Wolfie