TheBanyanTree: Bats and Rupert Bunny

Peter Macinnis petermacinnis at ozemail.com.au
Sat Feb 13 13:25:40 PST 2010

NancyIee at aol.com wrote:

> You want fruit bats, send a small child outside with a very ripe peach.
> Child will soon be surrounded, like puppies after a hamburger.

While we like them, we have a problem with fruit bats here in Australia
(we call them "flying foxes", just to be contrary): they carry a
lyssavirus.  This is related to rabies (which doesn't occur in
Australia) and you can read about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_bat_lyssavirus

The other problem with the central city flying foxes is that they are
damaging heritage trees, planted almost 200 years ago.

peter

--

   _--|\    Peter Macinnis, Manly, the birthplace of Australian surfing
  /     \   feral word herder, also herbal remedies, bespoke fish