TheBanyanTree: Bats and Rupert Bunny

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Sat Feb 13 04:45:13 PST 2010

I love big bats.  Here in Florida we have gigantic fruit bats. I have  seen
many with wingspans of ten inches and more. They chattered as they flew, or
 they were silent.

You want fruit bats, send a small child outside with a very ripe peach.
Child will soon be surrounded, like puppies after a hamburger.  There used  to
be, near Jacksonville, Florida, a campground in a forest of spooky, twisted
 trees, hanging low with Spanish Moss. A real nightmare maker for small
children.  After sunset, while the western sky still glows, the bats  come
out, dropping from the treetops to within five or six feet of the  ground
before swooping up.  Hundreds of them.  The  surrounding  area was planted with
hundreds of acres of citrus trees, so fruit was  plentiful.  The children
would rather pee in their sleeping bags rather  than go out to the campground
potty once the bats took wing.

I thought them beautiful.