TheBanyanTree: Dee

Laura wolfljsh at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 14:29:56 PST 2010

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 10:20 AM, Julie Anna Teague <jateague at indiana.edu>wrote:

> How fortunate we are to have had each other in our lives for so many, many
> years.  It never seems like enough when we lose one of our beloved friends,
> but what a surge of gratitude I'm feeling right now to have had her laughter
> and light all this time.  And what a surge of gratitude I'm feeling to have
> ALL OF YOU in my life.  Group hug, everyone.

Amen, sister, amen.

I was around that campfire too, but I buggered off after witnessing two of
the dreadful attacks - one of which I protested in a private email to
HimSelf.  That, of course, got me blasted back to the stone age, so I quit.
I was a new netophile, and he scared me right off.

Fortunately for me, a few months later, someone... I can't remember who, but
I think it was either Julie or Dee... emailed me and told me that Wes had
opened the Spoon, and would I be interested in joining.  I was.  Thank God.
All of you have become so important to me - a window to a greater world, of
which most people are ignorant.  Some of you I've only read about, some of
you I've been lucky enough to meet in the flesh, and some of you have become
like family. I count each and every one of you as blessings.

{{{hug!}}}

Talking about the Campfire always reminds me of this sign Dee sent us one
time when we were planning a camping get-together:

Campfire Rules

a la Dee Churchill

Never collect roasting sticks from a chitum tree. (Cascara; Chitum – *Rhamnus
purshiana* D.C.)  Campers rarely appreciate the laxative potential of that
species.

Do not whip your marshmallow stick like you're casting a fishing rod while a
hot marshmallow is perched on the end -- that causes the marshmallow to
slide off at a great velocity and cling to the bare eyeball of the victim
across the campfire.

If your attention wanders and your marshmallow bursts into flames, do not
get up and dance wildly around the campsite waving the stick like a torch.  You
will set fire to somebody's tent.

Thanks,

The Management

--