TheBanyanTree: TheBanyanTree Digest, Vol 77, Issue 1

Julie Anna Teague jateague at indiana.edu
Mon Feb 1 13:04:19 PST 2010

Quoting TLW <tlwagener at gmail.com>:

> Dee was such a marvelous character and friend.  Back when I was
> writing in Hollywood, I'd lament to her about having to go to yet
> ANOTHER time-sucking pitch meeting full of business men that would
> lead nowhere.  Dee had the same exhortation:
>
> "Knockers up!"

That's our Dee.  I can also hear her saying, "Ohshitohdear!" Another
Dee-ism that will be with me for life.  Even though I knew she was not
well, this news came as such a tremendous shock to me.  Then I realized
why--because the way I see Dee, in my mind's eye, as always been the
person who shined out from the inside.  She had a physical shell, and
that shell was failing her, but when Dee wrote, it was the mischievous,
funny, full of spunk and piss and vinegar, lively little elf of a
person who came out.  Like her favorite drink, Dee was coffee with a
shot of something a tiddly bit more fun.  That's the only way I ever
pictured her, and I think that's the only way my pee-pickin' brain is
going to ever think of her.  The super bowl is coming up and Dee is
working on some special dish for it, just like always.

Julie