TheBanyanTree: Medical day

Laura wolfljsh at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 09:30:57 PST 2010

So, there I am, sitting in the exam room waiting for the doctor to come and do my annual
poke n' prod exam.  I'm staring across the room at the assorted diplomas and such, thinking
that everything should be much more in focus than it is, since I just got my new lenses less
than a week ago.  I had my elbow resting on the arm of the chair, and leaned my head on
my hand.  Suddenly, everything on the opposite wall came into sharp focus.  HUH?

I sat up, and looked at the diploma.  Nope, can't read those little letters at all.  I tilted my
head ever so slightly to the left, and voila!, perfect focus - even the teeny print at the
bottom.  I tested each eye seperately, and it was the same thing in both lenses.  I decided a
trip past the eye doctor's office might be in order on the way home.

When I got there (everything was fine at the annual poke n' prod), the assistant explained
that sometimes the lenses can be slightly off center in the frames, so they'd reseat them
first, and see if that solved the problem.  Nope.  Still off center.  So my lenses have to go
back to the lab to be reground.  I've only had them a week, so I won't have to pay for the
correction, but now THEY HAVE MY GLASSES!

I can't wear contacts for medical reasons, and no, I don't have a back up set of glasses.  I
try to use the same frames until they fall apart, and this is the third year for these frames, all
the previous lenses are gone.  I thought I'd have to have the boys drive me everywhere for
a while, but Rob remembered that the sunglasses I keep in the car are prescription.  Sure,
they're 5 years old, but a little correction is better than none, and those are fine for driving.

Right now I'm having to use my reading glasses to use the computer.  I've pulled the
monitor as far toward me as it will go on the stand, and I'm leaning up over the keyboard so
I can see the screen.

It's gonna be a looooong week.

--
Wolfie