TheBanyanTree: 'Kill the boy'

Anita Coia anita at redpepper.net.au
Wed Feb 17 01:29:12 PST 2010

Yeah, we have one of those too. 15 years old, and coincidentally also has to
do the bins and the dishwasher - his only household chores apart from
keeping his room tidy-ish, taking his dirty wash into the laundry, and
personal hygiene.

He's pretty good - he does other stuff when I ask him to do (well, 10
minutes later, or maybe two hours later 'cause he's deep in a Playstation
game. Or just forgot).

I feel your pain about jobs not being done when they need to be done. It is
very irritating to find the dishes still sitting on the bench, awaiting the
dishwasher being emptied, and the boy being asleep or not around.  So this
is what I do - and it kind of works. (But not for everything.)

The basis of my action is the idea of consequence, a common principle touted
for dealing with teenagers, but it requires patience and fortitude as it can
be inconvenient. So if I am forced to do his chore, then we have the 'job
swap'. This means that he therefore has to do one of my chores - and not one
of his choosing. It has to be something that needs to be done in the near
future - like, soon. This is usually something like taking the washing off
the line and folding it, or having to take care of his own laundry from
start to finish (usually painful, as those five steps from his bedroom to
the laundry, from whence I will wash it, are quite irksome to him and
therefore his dirty clothes can build up in his bedroom to two full loads
quite quickly).

I haven't had to deal with the bins issue, as we do give him a reminder. I
guess I chicken out there, as the thought of having a full bin sitting
around for another week gathering flies is just too much. Though I did once
threaten that an unemptied bin would be placed in his bedroom for the week
so that he would understand why we wanted it reliably emptied.

I also dealt with the dirty-clothes-in-the-bedroom issue by a) providing a
laundry hamper (this is what he has to bring to the laundry to empty it into
the big laundry basket) and b) threatening to throw out any clothes I found
on the floor. Fortunately I only had to do it once, and it was only a pair
of socks. Of course I retrieved them as soon as he was out of the house, and
threw them in the wash. He never knew; I was too reluctant to waste the
money I had spent on them. But it did the trick - he knew I was serious. I
was amazed it was so easy. But then, his bedroom is pretty small, and it's
not THAT hard to put his dirty clothes in the hamper.

Good luck, is all I can say!

Anita

Message: 2