TheBanyanTree: snow, snow, and more f'ing snow

Laura wolfljsh at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 08:20:19 PST 2010

I live in the Bluegrass.  It's in the temperate zone, on the line between humid subtropical
and humid continental in terms of climate.  This means generally, in winter, we'll have two
or three mild snowfalls a couple of inches deep, which melt off within a day or two. The rest
of the time the temperatures stay between 30 and 45 (fairyheight), and we occasionally get
some rain or ice.

We revel in our few snows.  We make news out of them.  We predict murder, mayhem, and
apparently, starvation.  Whenever there is a "significant snow event" predicted, the entire
population hits the grocery stores.  We interview people who are brave enough to venture
out into the inch of frozen fluff.  We watch video of the brave and daring plow/salt truck
drivers.  We call off school, and businesses close, and we get out and play in it.  Two days
later, normality is restored and we all go about our daily routine.

Occasionally, every 10 or 12 years, we'll get a "SUPERstorm".  Very cold temperatures, 10
inches of snow, or God forbid, and inch of ice, and it will last a whole week.  One year after
a big snow, about a foot, the temperature dropped below zero (fairyheight) and stayed there
for a whole week.  I had an inch of ice on the *inside* of my sliding glass doors.  Another
time we got 29 inches.  That was fun!  It was gone within a week.

This year has been very strange for us.  We had snowfall back in January.  Something like 4
inches.  It hung around for a week or so, but the roads cleared after just a day.  Before that
snow melted off the lawns completely, we had another snowfall of about 4 inches.  Again,
the roads cleared after just a day or so, but the lawns were completely covered.  Before that
could melt off, we had yet another snowfall.  This time we had about 3 inches.  We got our
drive and walk cleared, confindent in the knowledge that the snow was done.  This morning,
I woke to another inch and a half or two inches covering what we had cleared.  <sigh>

Normally, I like the snow.  But I gotta tell you, I'm getting pretty sick and tired of it this year. I
don't like this never melting off thing.  There are piles of snow higher than my van in the
parking lots.  Even the newscasters seem to have tired of it, and are trying to find something
else to whine about.

Vancouver?  You can come get your snow now, we're finished with it!

--
Laura
wolfljsh at gmail.com
http://wolfsinger.wordpress.com