TheBanyanTree: Reflections

Roger Pye pyewood at pcug.org.au
Fri Dec 17 04:20:08 PST 2010

The long handled posthole shovel in my hands sank a full bladelength
into the hill of dirt next to the long shed at 'Innisfree', our 15 acre
property in eastern New South Wales, 120 kms from where we live in the
Australian Capital Territory. It was cold at the farm for a dense mist
had come floating in from the seaboard over the escarpment early in the
afternoon bringing a chill which had stayed as the fog dissipated. The
coolness was one reason why I was scooping dirt from the hill and
tossing it a metre or so to my right, away from the shed, building yet
another mound. The original hill had come from the cut-and-fill
operation three years ago which had levelled the site for the shed; the
new one was to have a different purpose to just lying idle with weeds
growing on it.

As I lifted another shovel full I heard the roar of an engine starting
up and glanced in the direction of the noise in time to see a large
truck nose out the gate of Claire and Andrew's property next door. On
the back of the truck was a Kanga machine designed for digging and
backfilling trenches. Its owner/driver, also called Andrew, had been
laying phone and power cables then backfilling the trenches for most of
the day. I knew all this not through psychic means but because I had
wandered over to our neighbours two hours before to have a chat with
Andrew the trench digger.

There was a solid 'CLUNK' as the spade hit a buried rock and almost
jarred itself out of my hands. Dropping it to one side I picked up the
mattock I had been using to break through the hard crust of the hill,
swung it up then down and flicked the offending stone out of the way. As
I changed tools the engine noise sank to a low hum then stopped; raising
my head I saw the truck was facing up the road towards our own gate.
Keeping the shovel in one hand I collected the mattock with the other
and walked down off the hill, around the back of the shed and into it
through an open roller door to stand both up against an inner wall.

The engine roared into life once more. I went out of the shed and for a
moment watched it trundle slowly up the road; the three alpacas near the
dam grazing which we had been given by friends in October last year all
raised their heads as the truck went past. As I went to open the gate
for Andrew I reflected on the similarity of the event about to happen to
the one three years ago when one of our helpers had commented that
having the vegetation scraped off the site for the shed would be a big
help. On that occasion there had been a large digger working on the land
immediately to the west of us. I had chatted to the operator, asking
whether he would clear the grass etc for us. He had driven down in his
ute, glanced at the site and shaken his head. "No, mate, scraping's no
good, no good at all," he said. "What you need is a level site. Hold on,
I'll get my laser-level!" Ninety minutes later I handed him a hundred
dollars; we all waved as he grinned and drove out of the gate in his
ute, the digger following behind. Between us and him was the newly dug
site, clean and level.

I held the gate wide open as Andrew manouvered the big Dodge 500 truck
around on the narrow road so he could get through the gateway. "1974,"
he answered when I asked him later on how old it was. He parked the
truck on the track a little way from the shed, got out and walked over
to the new mound in front of where I had been digging. "You did that
this arvo?" I nodded. "Not bad!"  "Not hard," I answered quietly. "I'd
get cold, dig and toss until I was warm then go and do something else
until I got cold again and do some more. It's done me good to have
something to do."

He stared at me, at the mound, at me again. "Fifty dollars," he said. I
said I didn't know if I had that much on me. He said nothing as I pulled
my wallet out of my back pocket, opened it, saw the note inside then
remembered getting it from the ATM in Canberra that morning. "Here, I'd
forgotten I had it," I said, givng it to him. "Hardly surprising," he
answered. "How would you like it, half a metre out, built high and flat
topped?"  "Yes, that'll do fine, half a metre out from there and there
(I pointed) and about a metre or so high."

I stood back and watched as he expertly turned the machine this way and
that, rolling it on its tracks to what was left of the original hill,
picking it up and reconstructing it as I wanted on the low mound I had
built over the body of our oldest alpaca during the almost three hours
since the vet had put her to sleep at my request. As the mound built up
I thought that his and my meeting this day could only have been an
occasion of serendipity - he had not been next door the day before when
the alpaca had been found in the gully, savaged by dogs, wild or
otherwise, nor would he be there tomorrow. While I was only there
because of the need to be so, to talk to the vet and make the decision.

I left Innisfree at 6.45pm, three-quarters of an hour later I caught up
with the old Dodge toiling up a hill and waved to Andrew as I went by,
knowing that I would reach home about the same time as he reached his,
30 kms away in another direction. A long hard day for all three of us, I
reflected.

******************

Vale Tourmaline, 1988-2010

Tourmaline, you were the undisputed leader of our tiny herd. You led the
way in all things. At your lead they grazed and wandered the whole of
our fifteeen acres freely and undisturbed. You were instrumental in
their acceptance of our Yorkshire Terrier, Miss Ruby, as (I am sure)
just a strange small sort of cria; if you did not welcome or come in
search of Ruby, she went looking for you to touch noses.

Tourmaline, Robin and I salute you. The nobility and proudness with
which you embraced life and everything you did at Innisfree were so very
evident as you patiently waited for the inevitable to occur yesterday
and then accepted it with such quiet dignity. Travel with our love and
admiration on your Journey to your next adventure and, one day, come
back to us in a different form. Be sure you will be welcomed, always.

RnR